Sunday, August 12, 2012

The food is in!

Levi finally has his feeding tube! I know this sounds like an odd thing to be excited about, but, we are! He now has an easier way to get the nutrients that he needs into his body. This week was a long week, since we spend Monday-Thursday in the hospital. Monday morning we had to be at the hospital, in Wichita, by 6:30am. My good friend, Meghan and her daughter (4 months old), Eisley, came with us. They picked us up from our house around 4:15am. We ended up at the hospital WAY to early, which was fine. That's better than being late! The procedure was scheduled for 8:30. Here is a picture of Levi right before surgery
As you can tell, he has no idea what's about to happen. They got him back, Pastor Kent came up, and we all waited around. It was a relatively quick surgery, only about an hour and a half. After surgery they stuck him in the PICU for about 24 hours. Then we moved to Peds, once we were there my sister-in-law, Allison came up. This was on Tuesday. I spend Tuesday-Thursday night in the hospital. I don't think that is something that I will ever get used to, no matter how often I do it! They released us on Thursday afternoon. We now have to feed Levi every 4 hours. What he doesn't take by mouth, we push through the tube. Overnight he gets a continuous feed through his tube. Part of that means I go to bed late and get up earlier. If you know me, you know that's not a good combination for me, I need sleep! In a few weeks, Levi and I will go back to the doctor and get this tube taken out, and then get his Mic-Key button put in. That will be much easier to use than this current tube is.

John is doing GREAT with the tube feeds. He helps me out so much. He was at home this whole week, and I know that could not have been easy for him.

We are blessed beyond belief to have the friends, family, and church that we do. They have helped us pull through this procedure, as they will the rest of them. I cannot emphasize enough to people how important a good, strong, supportive church family is. At a time like this, they gather and strengthen us with their prayers, gifts, and visits. I sometimes wonder if God really has us in the right place, but when they come together for us, I know that He does.

1 comment:

  1. Why dont they have levi on 8hr feeds at night and then just a few boluses during the day? Its how my little brother gets his. Well now he is 24hrs because he had to get a seprate Jtube. But the 8hr feedings at night is MUCH easier!

    ReplyDelete